• Nicole Hazlett | Staff Writer

Norovirus hit GC

GC has confirmed that the cause of the illness that spread throughout campus was a norovirus, a very contagious virus that causes vomiting and diarrhea.

“Public Safety has confirmed it is a norovirus,” said Kyle Cullars, assistant vice president of Auxiliary Services & Organizational Development. “They have definitively ruled out food contamination at any point.”

According to GC Public Health, more than 125 people have been infected with the virus.

“This particular virus is highly contagious and affects the stomach and intestines,” said Director of Public Affairs Brittiny Johnson.

A norovirus spreads easily from person to person through bodily contact and sharing food or drink with an ill person.

According to the North Central Health District, “symptoms of norovirus can lead to dehydration, so it is important to drink plenty of fluids while ill.”

Some of the students infected with the virus went home, and many stayed in bed for days at a time.

“I didn’t leave my room for two and a half days,” said Jacob Macdonald, a junior music major who came down with the virus.”

The MAX was shut down for the entirety of Feb. 6. GC gave students with meal plans $20 on their Bobcat cards to get food off campus.

Despite circulating rumors, no evidence of food contamination was found.

“Please note that there is no evidence that any of the illnesses we have seen were the result of food contamination from any of our dining facilities,” Johnson said.

#Norovirus #illness #GCPublicSafety


Follow us

  • Facebook Social Icon
  • Twitter Social Icon
  • YouTube Social  Icon
  • Instagram Social Icon

© 2019 by THE COLONNADE