GC was founded in 1889 starting with one building, the Governor’s Mansion. GC has acquired many buildings since then and currently has 18 buildings that are over 99 years old.
The McIntosh house was built in 1818 by a plantation owner named John Troutman.
“Milledgeville was a dangerous place like a wild west town in these early years,” said university historian Bob Wilson. “People were always having duels and fights.”
The next year, Troutman was killed in his sleep. A man, who was in the room below his bedroom, shot him right through the heart while we was lying in bed.
The McIntosh House reopened in 2017 as academic offices.
Built in 1910, the Mayfair House was a boarding house for people visiting faculty. Some people, however, lived there year round.
James Wooten built the Wooten-Garner House around 1900. Wooten had a stationary store downtown in the building beside Barberitos.
The Hall House was built in 1871. The First Baptist church once stood on the front lawn.
Built by James Wooten’s son in the World War I era, the house is now used by GC as the international education center.
Judge Carpenter built Blackbridge Hall in the early 1900s. The house was used by the art department, and in 2017, The Hub opened in Blackbridge Hall.
In 1825, Captain Isaac Newell built the Newell-Watts House. Jimmy and Louis Watts bought the house in the mid 20th century and lived there until Louis died. GC acquired the house in 2009 after Louis died.
The Humber-White House house was built in the mid-1870s by the Lindrum sisters. According to the GC website, Mrs. P.A. Lindrum acquired the land in 1872, constructing the home, outbuildings and fencing before selling the land to her sister, Barbara Lindrum, in 1876.
These unmarried sisters were originally from New York and owned a dress shop downtown. Their great niece Katie Sanford lived with them most of the year.
“[Sanford] was well known in the town and loved helping around the store,” Wilson said. “She died when she was five years old from the Croup [an infection of the upper airway] in 1879.”
The rumor is she haunts the Humber-White House.
After Sanford died, Barbara Lindrum sold the house to Robert C. Humber in 1890. The house stayed in the family and was eventually left to Humber’s son-in-law, Dr. Joseph Hill White. The GC Foundation acquired the property in 1990.
Clarke Street House
The Clarke Street House was built before World War I and was the rectory of St. Stephen’s Episcopal church.
Carl Vinson House
The Carl Vinson House was built in the 1820s by Judge Iverson Harrison. GC acquired the house in 2009.
Student Activities Center
Also known as Magnolia, the building was constructed in 1914. This building originally served Milledgeville as the First United Methodist Church, according to the GC website. GC purchased the building in 2004. Renovations were completed in January 2005, and the Student Activities Center officially opened.
Completed in 1885, this building was used as the court house until it was replaced in 1997. The college acquired the Old Courthouse once the new one was finished but has never officially used the building. It is currently under renovation.
Built in 1908, this building was a residence hall until the early 2000s, when it transitioned to department offices. It was originally named Lamar Hall after R.N. Lamar, a member of the Board of Directors. However, according to the GC website, Lamar was not a strong supporter of then GC President Dr. Marvin Parks, so in 1913, Parks’ allies on the board changed the name to Terrell Hall in memory of the recently deceased Joseph M. Terrell, who had been the governor of Georgia from 1902 to 1907.
Built in 1896, Atkinson is the oldest building on Main Campus. It was named after William Y. Atkinson and his wife Susan Cobb Milton Atkinson who are responsible for the creation of Georgia Normal & Industrial College, GC’s precursor. After becoming aware of the plight of under-educated women in Georgia by journalist Julia Flisch, Susan persuaded her husband William, then a young state legislator to introduce the bill that created Georgia Normal & Industrial College in 1889.
Built in 1911, Parks Hall is named after GC’s second president, Marvin McTyeire Parks. Parks successfully advocated to turn Georgia Normal & Industrial College, then a teacher’s school, into Georgia State College for Women, a four-year degree granting institution.
According to the GC website, “Parks Hall was named for [Parks] in 1913 while he was still president.”
Completed in 1839, the Governor’s Mansion served as the residence for Georgia’s chief executives for over 30 years.
“Sherman used the Mansion as his headquarters on Nov. 23, 1864,” said Matthew Davis, director of historic museums.
Years after the capital was relocated to Atlanta following the Civil War, the Governor’s Mansion became the founding building of the university in 1889.
Sallie Ellis Davis House
In 1910, Sallie Ellis moved into the house, which was built at the start of the 20th century. She was born in the mid-1870s to Josh Ellis and Elizabeth Brunswick. After college, she became a teacher and administrator at the local Eddy School of Milledgeville which was the only school available to black students in the area.
“She believed that through a combination of hard work and education one could accomplish anything,” says the GC website. “She encouraged her students to excel in all they did and to ‘reach for the stars’ no matter what obstacles lay before them.”
GC acquired the house in 1989 and it is currently a museum.
In 1879, the Depot was rebuilt after William T. Sherman burned the previous depot during Sherman’s march to the sea.
Andalusia was the home of American author Flannery O’Connor from 1951-64.
First settled in 1814, Andalusia was a cotton plantation and farm until 1931, when it was purchased by Flannery’s uncle Dr. Bernard Cline. During the 13 years she lived at Andalusia, O’Connor completed the bulk of her literary work, and the farm’s environment influenced the setting in much of her writing.
In 2017, GC acquired the farm. Andalusia is now open to the public for tours.
Graphic courtesy of GC Communications